Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Whirlwind

I had a very busy weekend.  On Saturday, I made a reed rack to safely store my reeds for the looms.  Racks are expensive from weaving supply companies - $90-150.  When I looked at the various designs, I figured that I could make one very easily.  I sketched what I wanted, added in measurements and went to the hardware store.  Turns out that I made mine for less than $30.  I used only simple tools my trusty drill and a handsaw.  If I had an electric saw, I could have made it quicker and perhaps with more accuracy.  My rack isn't quite square, but not noticeably so.  It is a tool, solves a problem, keeps the reeds out of the way and wasn't expensive.  Perfect in other words.  I'm delighted with it.  I made it larger than I currently need so ultimately it will hold eight reeds.  I have four reeds currently - 6, 10, 12, and 15.  I plan to add an 8 and maybe another 10 in stainless steel.  I will probably eventually paint my rack, but for now it is in place and doing the job.

Reed rack

We had an unexpected and very heavy late snow here in St. Louis on Sunday. It was a perfect day to get things done as we were going no where.

I measured out warp for ikat warp dyeing.

Ikat warp

Ikat is something I've always wanted to try.  It is labor intensive - warp threads are bound to resist the dye, and then it must be unbound after dyeing.  My indigo vat is temporarily on hiatus.  After many weeks of heavy use, I need to add more indigo!  So my warp will wait until then.

I warped the loom with some hand dyed yarns for a simple plain weave scarf.  I'm enjoying watching the color shifts and it is working up nicely.  I should finish weaving it today.  Once the finishing details are done and photographs taken it should be up in the shop soon.

Color weave

Finally, I've started spinning up my first fleece of 2013.  It is a sweet little Romney lamb's fleece.  It is the cleanest fleece I've seen, soft, beautiful almost black to gray and spins beautifully. 

First Fleece of 2013

I'm still plugging away on my quilts.  I have one for a show submission almost finished.  It has been quite a taskmaster as it demanded all hand quilting, but I'm very pleased with how it is turning out.  I next need to turn my attention to a quilt that has a home waiting.  I was at a meeting last week and someone saw the in progress quilt.  They asked to purchase it once it is finished!  

No comments:

Post a Comment