Friday, March 8, 2013

Steppin' Out

I finished my quilt today for the Friends of Art SIUE Auction.

Stepping Out

Stepping Out
18" x 20"


Hand dyed indigo shibori on cotton with indigo hand dyed perle cotton thread.
Pieced/whole cloth quilt with machine and hand quilted.

This quilt has evolved over the weeks.  I finally decided yesterday that it will be my donation for the auction.  The auction raises money and supports the art program at my university.  To say that I am grateful for the program would be an understatement.  I have been given so much more than education there.  I've found mentorship, friendship and creative refueling.  I'm learning to make a new life for myself at SIUE.  

I'll stitch the hanging sleeve on the back and sign it then deliver it.  I wonder where it will end up?


Linking up once again with Off the Wall Friday

Inspiration for the title came last week after another Kurt Elling concert.  This is one of my favorite songs that Kurt has done.  I played it on the way to my first class at SIUE.  Stepping into the light, indeed.



6 comments:

  1. What a lovely contribution......I am new to the dyeing process....think it may become a serious addiction. :-)

    Thanks for stopping by my site and the great comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dyeing is very serious addictive. Curiosity keeps driving me and each time I hit the dye pots, I come away with more questions to be answered. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  2. It looks very angelic. I'm sure they will be very happy to have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback Lisa. I'm looking forward to delivering it.

      Delete
  3. Hi, Mandy. Hopped over from Nina Marie's. The combination of shibori, patchwork and stitching (plus the beautiful blues) makes this a lovely piece. Enjoyed the music interlude as well!
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nadia! Glad you enjoyed the music as well.

      Delete