Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Sock Curse

So I've been knitting a pair of socks for a long time.  Actually, I haven't been knitting on them actively for a while.  According to my Ravelry project page for them, I started them in August of 2011.  I started them for Mister, but having gone up a needle size they looked to be more my size.  Oops.  So I moved on and kept knitting them.  Until I forgot them and they got buried on my desk by papers to file, etc.  Some other knitting had come along, school heated up and I forgot them.  Poor socks.

I cleaned my desk off and found them.  I was down to the toe decreases and I took them up to my LYS to sit and finish the work on them.  Boom - I had a finished sock.  Then I forgot them again.  I don't know when I rediscovered them.  I needed a simple mindless project to take with me to knit night and various other places.  I cast on and began the plunge to the heel.  I was knitting away through many knit nights.  I turned the heel (my favorite part of socks) and felt happy.  Soon these poor socks would be finished.  On our trip to Seattle these were my plane knitting flying out.  I decreased the gusset and things were magical - until....

One afternoon in Seattle, I had a length of time to wait for Mister while he had a meeting.  I sat outside in the glory of the Northwest July and knit.  I had a glass of iced tea, a breeze, people watching and my thoughts to keep me company.  I knitted, thought long thoughts and waited.  Then I looked down at my knitting to see when I should stop decreasing for my foot.  It seemed to be taking forever to get back to my original number of stitches after the heel (72 stitches - 36 stitches on each needle - magic loop if you must know).

Top of foot needle stitch count: 36
Bottom of food needle stitch count: 20

Crap.
Ooops.

So then I spent some time enjoying my surroundings while I pulled my needles out and ripped back to where I needed to have stopped decreasing.  I put my needles back in and laughing at myself I continued to knit a large section again, this time correctly.

I didn't get much chance to knit again on the trip and didn't pick them back up until knit night.  Knit night was a bit chaotic that night - lots of conversations and people in and out.  I was distracted.   I wondered how close I was getting to the toe decreases so I found my first sock to compare with the in progress sock. When I matched the socks up, something didn't seem right.  There seemed to be a discrepancy with the size.  The first sock seemed slightly smaller than the second sock.  After all the stitch pattern was a variation of ribbing and we all know that ribbing pulls the fabric in.  My second sock has been handled and stretched by the needles.


I didn't really pay this all too much attention.  I was distracted, and I told myself the cursed phrase that many knitters have thought before - "Oh, it is fine.  I'll just keep knitting."

The next night I was at an event with Mister and I had some time to knit.  It was quiet during the early moments of the event and I pulled out my knitting.  The first sock came out with second and then it hit me.  It wasn't fine.  Sometime was undeniably wrong.


Can you see what it is?



3 comments:

  1. In the words of Homer Simpson...DOH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know! Tell me,tell me! Different needle sizes?

    ReplyDelete