Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Post that is High in Fiber

I'm in the middle of several projects that I can share.  First, I've been working on my Allistar fleece from Gleason's Fine Woolies.  To refresh your memory, Allistar is a Bond sheep living in Colorado.  His fleece is the most dream shade of hot chocolate.  I finished washing him up last week (I have three pounds) and I've been watching Netflix and picking his locks and then carding them up on my drum carder.  I have ten rolls of his fleece to spin up now.
Allistar - photo from GFW 
I've gotten a bit of a bump in the rump to get going on this fleece.  Joanna's flock was sheared in April and I have more fleece on the way from her.  The GFW board on Ravelry has a Pound Along (PAL) where members each get a pound of fleece, process and spin it and then make something with it.  We have six months and share our process and results.  It should be fun, and hopefully having a deadline will help me.  In addition to that pound, a friend expressed a desire to split a fleece with me after seeing Allistar's locks.  We are getting a fleece from a ewe named Chrissy and she is a lovely cinnamon brown.  Very excited for that box to come.

Speaking of fleece, my Corriedale/Merino cross fleece from Hubbard's Handspun came.  Elizabeth Hubbard is known for her fine fleeces and like Joanna, she is a spinner herself.  The fleece that I have from her was over ten pounds.  She kept some for her own use and then put three pounds out for sale.  I have two pounds of it.  The staple length is 4 inches (thank you Corriedale side) and the crimp is extremely fine (thank your Merino side).  

I finished a weaving project the other day.  I still need to block it, clip ends and trim fringe.  It is a VERY long scarf out of my handpainted yarn.  I love the way the color play on the fabric.


The shop will have an update on Friday, so I've been busy working on items.  I have three spinning batts that will be part of the update.  Wool, silk, & alpaca anyone?




I finally picked up my ceramic sheep from the studio.  My instructor held him to photograph.  It is nice to have him home, and I think he'll be joining my table when I have fairs and markets.  He is stoneware and pit fired to achieve beautiful random color.  I'd love to make more sheep, perhaps a Jacob, with their cool horns.







No comments:

Post a Comment