Tuesday, January 10, 2012

First Day of School

The semester has started and I'm very excited about digging in with my classes.  I packed my bag this morning with lunch, schedule and of course some knitting for the downtimes.  The parking lots were full today and I saw signs for overflow parking (wow)!  I start my day with contemporary art history (doesn't that seem like an oxymoron?), 3-Dimensional Design and then finish with figure drawing.  I might pick up a ceramics class next week.  The Art of School is back.


The Art of School

Today in art history we jumped right into Abstract Expressionism.  What a time that was.  World War II is over and many artist have fled Europe to the States.  The world is asking a lot of hard questions; there is a lot of dust to sort through.  Carl Jung is in vogue.   The center of the art world shifts from Paris to New York.  Life Magazine asked if Jackson Pollack was the greatest living painter.  


Pollock, One: Number 31, 1950 from Smarthistory Videos on Vimeo.


Spinning Around

I finished my first bobbin of singles of Allistar's fleece.  Still aiming for a sweater.  I'm combing each lock and spinning from it.  It looks like frothy hot chocolate - yummy!


I also finished a skein of handspun.  These colors were knocking around in my head at the end of last semster.  I finally had a chance to dye some fiber and bring it to life.  This is a gradient worsted weight yarn.  The colors go from a pink with orange, green, blue and then violet.  The skein is 140 yards of squooshy soft wool.  Look for it in the shop later this week.



No comments:

Post a Comment