Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Season


I went to an antique mall yesterday just to browse and walk around a bit.  What do you think I found there?

But a lovely old wheel with birdcage distaff and a hefty price tag.  $975.00.  Holy Holly!  The dealer was there and we chatted for a bit.  I tried to tell her that no, spinning wheels don't sell for that much anywhere, let alone in our area.  She claimed that because it still had the distaff and it was signed it was worth that much.  There are plenty of old wheels with their distaffs still intact.  And signed doesn't mean anything.  Signed by who?  This wheel had the name A. Scott 1848 scratched on top of the table.  Here is the tricky thing about signed objects - we don't know if it was the maker, one of the owners, or when it really was signed.  I don't think many wheel-smiths would scratch their names boldly on the table of their projects.
Anyway, it reminds me of this post and the value of age. I'd love to clean this old girl up and getting her spinning again.  She is missing some parts and with the price tag, there is just no way.  I could snag myself two or three antique wheels for that price.



I hope everyone is ready for what ever celebrations you might have this time of year, Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa, Winter Solstice and New Years.  This is a tricky time of year for me.

I miss my father a lot.  I've been watching old family home movies and trying to honor in my own way those that are no longer here.  When I was little our house would be full of family.  There were parties, family dinners and our traditional Christmas Eve family gift opening.  Now it is just Mister and I for the most part and it seems too quiet.

I was talking with a friend the other day who gave me a lovely bit of insight on my family heritage.  My mother's side is Swedish and Finnish.  I don't have many surviving traditions that have been passed down from either side.  I learned that on Christmas Eve, Finnish tradition is to leave candles on the graves of those that have passed and to remember them.  Perhaps that is what I'll do.

I hope everyone has a lovely weekend and that you are warm and spending time with loved ones.

I'm getting ready to head out for Knit Night.  I've been baking cookies to bring for my tribe.



Happy Holidays,


No comments:

Post a Comment