Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Felted Sheep and Winners

Last week flew by and now I'm looking at two art history test for this week.  Yikes!

When Bad Things Happen to Good Sheep


Before
I'm very sorry to report that my lovely handspun woven scarf was recently victimized by the washer AND the dryer. What started out to be a 16” wide by 51” long table runner is now a 11 1/2" wide by 42" long piece of something. 




After
Yes, my scarf was accidentally thrown in the laundry and this is now its state. I was devastated when I discovered it; it had already been a rough day. I'm over it now and much more pragmatic about it. 



Two weeks ago my number came up in the queue. Fiber people fear two things: moths and accidental felting. It is to be expected given the amount of wool around the house that something had to happen eventually.


Hopefully, it won't happen again, but really do you want to bet on those odds?

I'm thinking about what I want to do with my felted fabric. It has some qualities which I love - softness, texture and thickness. Do I make a bag, purse, etc?


The Art of School

I thought I'd share  four picture that I've printed lately in photography class.  The first two are from the farm day (it seems so long ago).



Aren't angora goats fantastic subjects for black & white film?  I love how the texture of their locks comes through. The dramatic lighting helps too.


The following pictures are of a spinning wheel a friend from spinning group scored at auction. It is a wheel from Wisconsin maker, Frank Fell circa 1900-1930. You can read more about this wheel on Tracey's blog



These two photos were used in my motion assignment for class and are part of our class critique. Our class critiques are getting better - we are taking more time to look at photos and give each other much helpful feedback. It is fantastic, inspiring and I alway learn something new. It could be very scary to have your work looked at with a critical eye. Thankfully, we trust each other and the feedback is both positive and constructive.

I thought I'd share this painting, "The Knitting Lesson" by French realist painter, Jean-Francois Millet. It is one of two painting that I'm comparing. I love Realism. Realism grew out of the late nineteenth century and focused on ordinary people doing ordinary things. Painters of this movement dared to vere away from historical and royal/upper class portraits and caused a bit of a ripple. Imagine painting peasants!  


Can't you hear the girl's double pointed needles clink? The St. Louis Art Museum has a few other works by Millet you might want to check out: "Woman Carding Wool," "The Carder," "The Knitting Shepherdess." I wish they were on exhibit, but at least we have the website.

Launch Giveaway

The comments are in, the jokes have been heartily enjoyed and winners have been chosen by random number generator.  I've emailed two of the winners, but don't have a way of contacting the others.  If you haven't heard from me, send me your snail mail address at thecloisteredlamb (at) gmail (dot) com

Winners will have until November 8th to contact me.  If I haven't heard form them then we'll pick a new winner.


Handspun yarn: TheQualityWatch 


Alpaca yarn: CootieMae (a pen name)


Stitch Marker set: Peppermint Mocha Mama


Handmade blank book: pawdua


Thank you everyone for participating!  I hope to do another giveaway in the near future.  I have a nifty new tool to help make the giveaway much simpler on my end.  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you!!!!! I confess I have a soft spot in my heart for alpacas, so this was the PERFECT prize for me!!! So excited!!
    Amy (who fixed her Google name. it was CootieMae, but really I'm Jjlrdomom!)
    LOL

    ReplyDelete