Monday, September 19, 2011

The Call of the Pipes


Art of School

I've had two drawing classes, since the last blog post.  I feel like I have been picked up and thrown into my easel - over and over again.  Full body contact art.  By the end of the day on Friday, I was was feeling puny and just barely alive.  The week had done me in, and it wasn't even over yet.

I had class on Saturday as well, but it was a brief intro session for design.  We met, got materials lists and got out.  It looks to be a good class.  Initially I was dragging my feet - class on Saturday, for FOUR hours.  Ugh.  But it fit my time and keeps me on track.  The class is a doing class, so it seems like it will move, I'll produce some things for my professional portfolio and I like the people.  Perhaps it is the fact that we are there on Saturday, but we had instant community.  I like that.  We should chat and enjoy each other.

Festival Tales

After my class, I officially began my weekend.  I headed out to a local community festival.  I was pretty determined to get there as I had my eye on a booth to visit.  The festival featured a folk life section.  Period reactors  blacksmiths, weavers, spinners and traditional crafts.  Just my cup of tea.  Many years ago, I visited the booth of a paper artist.  Scherenschnitte is a German paper cutting tradition that is just spectacular.  Figures and scenes are cut piece by piece by really sharp scissors and a strong eye for detail.  Previously, I had seen a beautiful picture of a selkie maiden.  


Selkies are a seal people; in the water they are beautiful seals.  On land they can shed their skins and walk among us.  It is said if a person find's a selkie's skin, the selkie will stay with them.  The selkie, having lost their skin, will be unable to return to the sea.  They will forever search for the skin.  I don't remember the first time that I heard the legend, but I've been hooked for years.  There have been many movies and books with the legend.  


The artist didn't have the selkie picture with her this time, but I managed to console myself with something else.
Sheep by Polly Winkler-Mitchell

I also played with some sheep, purchased some of their roving from the seller.  

 Border Leicester Sheep and Leicester Longwool Lamb (endangered breed!)

To cap off the visit, I heard the distinct sound of a piper.  Mister claims that I have spooky hearing when it comes to pipes. Despite crowd noise and other distractions, the pipes call to me and I find them.  I think this is a strong  indication that I should go to Great Britain and do some sheep and textile research.  Or maybe Mister should start learning to play the pipes.




I'll have more to share with you later this week.  For now, I'm going to go have a nap.  I'll leave you with this clip from YouTube that just makes me happy all over.  

Have a good week!


1 comment:

  1. I'm assuming this means you've seen Ondine? I watched it with my father some time last year and really enjoyed it.

    Also, please let me know how much you'd like for the hip scarves. :-)

    ReplyDelete