Friday, August 26, 2011

Finding a New Beat

As you may have noticed, school has still thrown off my blog posting.  I'm enjoying school immensely!  But.. wow does it cut into my spinning, knitting, weaving and breathing time.   This morning I hit the ground running.  I managed to soak and block some finished yarn and a shawl!  They are not happily drying and I feel oh so productive.

CPW Repair News

This morning I also began packaging up my parts for my antique wheel to mail off for repair and replacement. I was then reminded that I need to do a cleaning of the old girl.  Yikes - look at the rust!


I am getting three bobbins made, new leathers (this hold the flyer and bobbin), a new whorl, a footman and the wire thread guides replaced.  I have no idea how long this will take, but I'm filled with gratitude there are folks that can do this work.

Crochet News

I'm working on a project that is unblogable at the moment.  A friend commissioned me to make her a belly dance hip scarf.  I'm busy sampling and waiting for some parts to come in the mail.  Should be a lot of fun!

Art of School

So the other night I had some reading to do for Art History.  I have two art history classes A (prehistory through Renaissance) and B (Mannerism though Modern).  The reading was for B and I just didn't understand the difference between Mannerism and Renaissance art.  Mannerism emerged during  high Italian Renaissance about 1520.  In many ways, it is rejection of all the assertions of the Renaissance.  At first my eyes didn't see, but then I did.  We did some review in B of Renaissance work aspects and finally my brain kicked in.

Renaissance art emphasised balance, symmetry, order, clarity, and naturalism.  It was a period of science and gave birth to our modern humanities.  Classical culture (Ancient Greek and Roman) was also enjoyed revival.

Take a look at this:


Pietro Perugino
Christ Handing the Keys to St. Peter
1481-82
Fresco, 335 x 550 cm
Cappella Sistina, Vatican

In this classic example, notice the order of the figures, the lines of the three which serve to give depth to the work, the architecture (classic elements of Greek and Rome) and the sky which goes from dark blue to white - also giving depth.  Artist during this period wanted their work to not look 2D and I think Perugino achieved his goal.

Now consider this work from the Mannerism style:
Parmigianino
The Madonna of the Long Neck 
1535-40
85 in × 52 in
Uffizi, Florence

This work when compared to Renaissance work looks bizarre.  What is going on in this picture?  Who is that little figure on the right side?  Why is Christ child look so long and un-baby like?  Why does the woman on the left hold a vase?

Notice anything else that doesn't look realistic of natural?

Mannerism is known for its ambiguity, elongated  figures, and elegant lines and in some cases erotic works.    

While this work leaves a lot of questions, I find it compelling.  I have to look at it longer to try to make sense of what I'm seeing.

Mister and I were up half the night looking and talking about the different works that we found in the book.  We then went online and did more looking.  

It was hard to sleep that night.  I kept seeing the different paintings, sculptures and architecture flashing in my head.


Art is often mysterious and flat.  I have appreciated it for its beauty in the past, but I never really understood what was really going on.  Now I have been given the tools to unlock the secrets and I'm pretty damn excited about it.

Have a great weekend everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Your art classes sound pretty cool! Thanks for sharing what you've learned so far. The second photo is a little creepy...

    I'm excited to see the result of the belly dancing hip scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting. Just waiting for a few supplies to come in and then belly dance scarf time!

    ReplyDelete