Tuesday, May 10, 2011

In Praise of Sheep, part II

A Case for Baskets

So I have made three baskets in the last few weeks.  Funny thing is each basket that I make I swear will be the last one.  I don't really enjoy making them, but yet I make them.  I don't get it.  Perhaps it is the fact that I'm weaving and I do really enjoy it.  The baskets that I've made have been made with a functional bend in mind.  I'm using them for spinning storage and use.  Somehow it just seems to make more sense and feel better to store fiber and tools in handmade items.  So I make them.  I have thought for a long time that I wanted something to hang on my wheel to store things.  Scissors, oil, orifice hook, perhaps a phone, etc.  

So I made it.


It isn't perfect - not quite even, a little higher on one side than the other, but really it is perfect for my wheel.  It doesn't detract from the look and is so functional that I'm giving myself a gold star.  I wish I had it ready for use yesterday morning.

Spinning Demo

Yesterday, I found myself spinning in the lovely great hall of the Missouri History Museum.  The Weavers' Guild of St. Louis was invited to demonstrate for area school children and members set up to weave and spin.  I haven't yet joined the guild, but after the lovely time yesterday it is high on my list.  The members were so giving and generous.  Children were given bits of wool to play with, some were plunked down in front of a wheel, tried their hand at carding wool, others got to try weaving and their earnest questions answered. One little girl "found" my sheep on my wheel and was very eager to find the other animal.  She was so excited when I showed her my ladybug that she showed her mom and brother as well.

It was an enchanting morning and I'm so glad that I was invited to go. The museum staff were so appreciative and inquisitive of our crafts.  There was one gentleman that kept being drawn over with wonder in his eyes.  I think there were some children and quite a few adults that will have spinning and weaving injected in their blood now.

Sheep Fleece Update - I need a name for this project.

I have been spinning up my fleece and from the bobbin you can see some of the color.  I'm just smitten with it.  The color ranges from light silver to charcoal.  I can't wait to see what it will look like plied and knitted up.  It will take time, which is fine.  I love the process.

1 comment:

  1. How nice that you were able to share your spinning with children! I just love it when kids get into crafts like that. :)

    And LOL at making baskets when you don't like to... at least they look very cute when you're done!

    Lina
    photoknitdog.com

    ReplyDelete