Thursday, April 21, 2011

In Pursuit of Fiber

Spinning News

So my fleece washing is progressing.  I have about 2/3 of my fleece washed and dried.  I'm so in love with it.  Really - how could I ever buy processed fiber again?  Of course this is silly and I will continue to buy processed fiber still.  Only when I'm processing my own I feel so in harmony.  I've found my place at last.  I hope to finish washing this week and then start combing more.

I'm still working on spinning Miss Crabtree for my Japanese Garden Shawl.  Progress has been slow due to various other projects.  I'm happy to say that as of this morning, I'm at the halfway mark for spinning.

Basket Update

So I tried my hand at basket making and I'm very pleased with the results.  Perhaps I should take a class to learn to do more advanced work.  Until then I see some more baskets of various sizes in my future.



On the Loom

Wednesday at my Crochet Club, I was given a loom.  The anticipation was amazing.  I is a small lap loom and should be a perfect place for me to fall over the cliff into weaving.  I used to have a loom in high school and I loved it.  Somehow it did not end up making the move with me.  I've taken art classes in high school and college were I did some weaving and loved it.  I didn't love weaving quite as much due to the fact that all projects had me use crappy yarn.  This is certainly a Pandora project in the making.  I think I have access to better yarn now, don't you think?
So far nothing has been started, but I'm thinking about what I want to do.

On the Needles

I'm still working on my Citron shawl.  I'll be working on it forever.  The pattern has the bind off row once you increase to 540 stitches.  I've read tales of knitters being driven crazy by the bind off row.  540 stitches!  The kicker is I'm planning on adding a few more increase sections to achieve a bigger shawl and use up most of my 1,000 yards of yarn.  Oye!  I'm not going to think about binding off more than 540 stitches.  Once I'll get to that part, I'll have to work up some sort of incentive program for myself.  Incentive or intervention.  Which ever comes first.

But despite the high stitch count, it is lovely.  Really really lovely.  I know the picture makes it look like overcooked green Ramen noodles.  It is a semi-circular shawl with ruching.  The yarn just makes me want to touch it and hold it.  Good thing because I'll be knitting it forever.

On the Nightstand and MP3 Player

Picked up a new book today,  Sheepish by Catherine Friend.  Years ago I read her first memoir, Hit By A Farm and just loved it.  This was before I was into knitting and was just into agriculture in general.  If Sheepish is anything like HBAF, I'm in for a good time.  Only problem is reading cuts into my knitting, spinning and possibly now weaving time.  Hmm.

A few weeks ago I "discovered" a new podcast, Stitch It!  Meghan the host talks about homesteading, knitting and spinning.  I couldn't have created a better podcast for me if I had done one myself.  It was Meghan's show that finally tipped me into buying my fleece.  I can't recommend it highly enough.  I've been listening to her back list while happily spending some time with my wheel, needles and other projects.

Coming up on Tuesday:
Fleece update, spinning resource must have, and project updates

1 comment:

  1. You are so crafty! I'm very impressed by you abilities!

    ReplyDelete