Thursday, February 10, 2011

Creating

My All Spun Up mystery fiber arrived.  Getting an accurate photo has proved to be a bit of a challenge.  The fiber is just lovely - purple, blues, greens and whites.  Lofty and full of life, I can't wait to spin it up.  In fact, I've started.

Spinning All Spun Up's Feb/March Spin Along fiber, Enchanted - Alpaca/Merino/Silk blend fiber.

The fiber starts off like this - tightly bundled in a bump.
Then I unbundled it to look at the colors and develop a plan.



The plan is to divide the fiber into two, draft (stretch the fibers apart) and spin them into singles (one thread per bobbin).  I'm doing this to elongate the color sections and really make them pop.  After I spin the two bobbins, I'll then ply them together.  The plan is to spin a lace/sock weight yarn.  We'll see what the fiber wants to do.
 I'd like to to become a shawl if I have enough yardage.  

Pre-drafting - spreading the fibers out.

More drafting - the result a lofty pile of color!  

The beginning of a single.

Want to see more - check back!  I'm still spinning...

1 comment: