Sunday, December 12, 2010

December projects

It showed for the first significant time here today.  I took the day to do a bit of nesting and cooking.  I made breakfast, lunch and dinner will soon be underway.  I fired up the trusty bread maker too. We have a beautiful loaf of rye bread cooling right now.

For lunch I was hankering for vegetable soup with the thought of attacking some of the stores in the freezer.  Here is what I came up with - please keep in mind that I didn't measure quantities - I let my taste by my guide.

Snow Day Vegetable Soup

Ingredients:
one small onion
two stalks of celery
two cloves of garlic
one carton of vegetable stock
two carrots - peeled and chopped
10 or so cherry tomatoes - (ours were frozen right out of the garden) I added them still frozen and let them cook down. Canned tomatoes may also be used
one can cream of mushroom soup
red wine
Herbs: basil, oregano, parsley
Frozen green beans and peas
one cup uncooked pasta

Saute onions and celery in olive oil.  When the onions became translucent add garlic.

Add in stock with one cup of water (or so), carrots, tomatoes, cream of mushroom soup, splash of red wine, basil, oregano, parsley, salt & pepper to taste.  Simmer letting the tomatoes cook down and fall apart.  Add in frozen vegetables and bring to a light boil.  Add in pasta and cook until done.  Turn down heat and serve

This improvised soup can take whatever veggies you throw at it.  I wanted to use up some partial bags of frozen to help clear the freezer.

I finished a sewing project yesterday.  I finally tackled making a needle roll case for my set of double pointed knitting needles (DPN).  I found a set on Amazon for $19.99 and jumped at them.  US sizes 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10.5, 11, 13, 15 were included in the set.  I was concerned about the quality, but I'm currently using the 7s to make fingerless gloves and they are wonderful - smooth strong and just the right amount of pointiness.  I already had sizes 1.5, 5, and 8.  So I made myself a needle case to contain all my tools and labeled them.

I saw cases online that I liked, but I don't really want to spend $42 right now.  Etsy has some really nice ones as well.  I considered many designs, didn't work from a pattern and improvised while I went.  What I ended up was this:  A long thick roll that holds all DPNs, labeled pockets with a permanent fabric marker.  I also inserted some extra pockets here and there for extra storage.  The fabric was found in the remnant bin at the fabric store, ribbon form my stash, and lined with quilt batting for more protection to my tools.

Next up a case for my circular needles.


Update: Holiday Knit List

Holiday knitting is drawing to a close and I can now share pictures of gifts.  The majority of my gifts have been delivered.

Holiday Knit List



  1. Crochet spiral scarf - finished
  2. Crochet round star ornaments (4) - finished
  3. Crochet mohair scar - finished
  4. Winter Flame Scarf - finished
  5. Crocheted Scarf - finished
  6. Broken Spiral Rib hat- finished
  7. Stuffed Dog ornament - out of my first handspun yarn - finished
  8. Child's pink cabled hat - finished
  9. Woman's cabled hat - finished
  10. Cowl (new add on) - will gift her with beads instead
  11. Gift for mother in law? (new add on) - Alternative selected
  12. Hat for husband - he knows about this one, as he picked the pattern. - on the needles now
  13. Crochet dove ornament for gift for hostess - making a shawl pin instead
  14. Five stuffed bears (if I have time) - looks like these will come when they can



Hope everyone had a great weekend!

3 comments: