Tuesday, March 30, 2010

By My Hands

We have been back from our trip a grand total of three days.  I've gotten very little done that I wanted to get done.  Sunday, I mostly just sat around thinking about being tired (and I was) and then we ran errands.  Monday I returned to work and I returned home tired.  Today I came home after running errands and headed to the patio to do some much needed transplanting of seedlings.  I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by my charges.

Clearly next year I'll have to move operations to the basement with full shop lights which we already have.  I'm using full spectrum lights on these guys and they are loving it.  Not everyone was happy with my absence and a few plants went to plant heaven.  The Brandy-wine tomatoes never germinated.  The Cherokee tomatoes only have two representatives remaining out of nine planted.  The loses though are minimal and honestly, I think we'll live.  The Basil party is booming and I think I'll have quite a few plants to give away.  I planted extra in hopes that I can give plants away.  The eggplant seedlings are a beautiful and strong sight as is the pepper pairs.

What's Growing:
Garlic - getting bigger
Strawberries - planted last year
Basil
Sweet Chocolate Pepper
Red Wetersfield Onions
Listada de Gandia Eggplant
Chioggia Beet
Rocky Top Mix Lettuce
Verde da Tragilo
Plato II Lettuce Mix
Cracoviensis Lettuce
Five Color Silverbeet (chard)
Mustard Greens
Black Cherry Tomato - sprouts spotted today
Garden Candy Cherry Tomato - sprouted today
Bloomsdale Long Standing Spinach

Cherokee Purple Tomato
Melrose Pepper
Little Marvel Garden Pea

What's to come - later planting:
Tonga di Parigi Carrots
Blue Jade Corn
Black Valentine Bean
Cilantro
Lyaluk Cucumber
Yukon Gold potatoes - purchased seed potatoes today at the farmer's market/grocery
Red Pontiac potatoes- purchased seed potatoes today at the farmer's market/grocery

La Ratte Fingerling Potatoes: on order to be delivered in April

RIP:
Brandywine Tomato

I just realized that most of my planting is "done" - at least the first stages.  Most of the seeds have been started.  So I have accomplished something.

Yarn Work

I've been busy crocheting.  I have 11 squares left for my granny square shawl that I've been working on.  Right now I'm working on an additional project with yarn that I picked up in Scottsdale Arizona.  I'm taking a break from the squares for a bit.  Soon I'll finish the squares and get back at it.  I have been working on it however - this is the first piece that I'm blocking.  You lay out the piece pin it to a surface then steam it or wet it down.  In the case of the squares, I spritzed them with water and let them dry.  After I have most of the finished squares blocked I'm going to experiment with putting them together.  Right now I have a few ideas floating around in my head.  I want to make sure that one of them looks the way it does in my head.

Yarn Site I'm obsessed with

Blocking the squares

Scottsdale yarn - beautiful color change.  This will be my "Desert Memories Shawl"

We had a wonderful very enriching vacation.  I'm still trying to process the experience.  It will defiantly be a blog post soon.  The other day I was thinking while I was crocheting and I realized just how connected crocheting makes me feel to my mom.  This was further highlighted when my aunt said to my cousin, "...just like Auntie Bette used to do." 



No comments:

Post a Comment