Saturday, February 27, 2010

Farmers' Market Day

Today bloomed clear and bright.  The day started off a chilly 33 and is now in the 40s.  I discovered before my morning shower that I have dropped five pounds thanks to my eating changes.  YAY!

Mister and I headed out early to the market.  A local restaurant is a HUGE supporter of farmers and the local food movement.  They host a weekly market in the spring and summer.  In winter they have a market one Saturday a month.  Farmers head into town to sell winter fare which surprisingly is many: honey, beef, pork, poultry, lamb, mushrooms (!),  cold frame or greenhouse greens, preserves, bread, pasta, etc.  We walked away with quite a haul.  Here are some of the highlights.

 
Eggs from Buff Orpington and Wyandotte

 
Yellow oyster mushrooms grown by Ozark Forest Mushrooms
I wish you could smell these beautiful gems - earthy rich possibilities!


Locally raised Cornish hens - mmmm!  These littles will be going into the claypot soon.
 
Scallions!
Right now I'm making whole wheat buns for dinner tomorrow and researching when to start my seeds!  That is a daunting task first time out.  Ack!  When do I do some of these?  I'm back to hitting the books for research.


2 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous farmers' market haul! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan! Isn't amazing what you can find even in late winter? The only thing we haven't tried yet is the hens. I'm thinking that is tomorrow night's dinner.

    ReplyDelete